[aprssig] PSKMail Live CD

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 15:30:13 EST 2006

> There are no other systems out there than can
> accomplish what theirs can (not yet anyhow), therefore we are forced to use
> their proprietary closed system and they decide who becomes a PMBO or not
> and if you meet their "criteria"

There are other, probably better and even "open source" communications
packages freely available today.  All anyone would have to do is throw
hundreds or thousands of hours at it to turn them on and build "the
system."   That's the key - it's the "system" not the technology being
used.

Yes - it should be open.  There are long term consequences of the
current setup that are not good.   WL2K really needs a Tier 2 system
but since the ARRL/ARES folks who should really be doing it are, how
do I put this politely, "distracted" and there aren't many folks
willing to put in the effort on such a non-critical project, it's
probably not going to happen.

In the mean time, PSKEmail is a good small step to keep the fire burning.

73
Bill - WA7NWP

PS.  Much progress has been made in the arena of Virtual PC's.
Microsoft's Virtual PC (free!!!) will run most linux software.
Likewise there's VMWare and other tools to run Windows software on
*nix.  The OS issue is blurring.

  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx