[aprssig] backup pwr systems - slightly off-topic

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Wed Dec 13 19:15:55 EST 2006

Having lived off grid for 18 years ... "Most on-grid systems will
shut down" - WRONG ... EVERY grid tied system MUST shutdown if the
grid loses power or else you don't get to tie to the grid. The reason
is quite simple ... if you don't, you run a good chance of blowing a
lineman off a pole somewhere trying to fix whyever the grid went
down. The authorities and the courts would have no sense of humor on
that matter.

Now there is whole movement of "guerilla solar" of guys doing
surreptitious grid-ties and I have felt for years that this was
stupid and just a disaster waiting to happen.

Personally, I have no interest in tying to the grid. I would have to
shell out $15K to get the power lines up here and then a couple of K$
for the grid-tie interface. I would sooner spend a couple of hundred
for an electric hot water heater and a 24 vdc replacement heating
element and rig it as a hot water "pre-heater" to dump my extra power
in the summer months when I always have a surplus.

---
cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont
   <http://web.mac.com/brianbr/>  Tech Blog
   <http://www.wulfden.org/DiskShop.shtml>
    Home of the
       K107 Serial LCD Controller Kit   FT817 Power Conditioner Kit
       Tab Robot Laser Tag Kit            MSP430 Chips and Connectors
       Propeller Robot Controller         SX48 "Tech Board" Kit