[aprssig] backup pwr systems

Dale Blanchard wa7ixk at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 4 12:01:55 EST 2006

Ben Lindner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What sort of backup power systems do people use these days.  ?
>
> eg.
>
> Running a rig from a standard PSU while charging a battery at the same
> time and when the mains power drops out the battery will take over and
> run the radio. Then when the mains power is returned every thing is back
> to normal, battery is charged again from PSU and radio runs from PSU.
>
> Any body have any ideas on how to work this or has a circuit that I can
> build
>
> Ben Lindner
> VK5JFK
I run my station from one of my motorcycle AGM batteries, with a smart
charger to keep it up and replace what I remove when transmitting.
The charger is going to be replaced with solar panels if I ever get them up.
I run a 100 watt HF radio on the 28 AH battery plus the uhf and vhf radios.
At 2 amps receive and 17 amps tx my 3  amp smart charger keeps up OK.
WA7IXK
Dale