[aprssig] backup pwr systems

Richard Amirault ramirault at verizon.net
Sun Dec 3 18:38:56 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Lindner"
Subject: [aprssig] backup pwr systems

> What sort of backup power systems do people use these days.  ?
> eg.
> Running a rig from a standard PSU while charging a battery at the same
> time and when the mains power drops out the battery will take over and run
> the radio. Then when the mains power is returned every thing is back to
> normal, battery is charged again from PSU and radio runs from PSU.
>
> Any body have any ideas on how to work this or has a circuit that I can
> build

What's a PSU?  Did you mean a UPS?

What I use is an Astron power supply with the optional BB (Battery Backup)
option. A size 27 marine / deep cycle battery is attached. This will power
the rig and the TNC during a power failure but not the computer. Upon
restoration of commercial power the computer is set to re-boot into APRS
automatically.

Richard Amirault                                N1JDU                Boston,
MA, USA
n1jdu.org                                   "Go Fly A Kite"