[aprssig] Homebrew transmitter

Tim Smith rt_smith at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 11:35:00 EDT 2006

The channel-busy debate is indeed a sticky one.  The question to buy or
build is really a no-brainer in my opinion.  There are plentiful
sources of surplus HT's, amateur mobiles, convertable commercial rigs
that are well suited for tracker or fixed operations.  I bought several
IC2A's on ebay for very low prices which can give you up to a couple of
watts with a good receiver (and is frequency agile).  Even the higher
power mobile rigs (relatively small too) go for relatively short money.
 The best part is, they all do their part in channel management by
observing the golden rule of "listen before you transmit".

Not having a channel busy indicator serves really only two negatives.
One is that you may trash another posit as well as your own not being
successful.  In a busy metro area, you're doomed for failure.

73,

Tim - N1TI