[aprssig] Homebrew transmitter

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Aug 29 11:23:16 EDT 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Josh Freeman wrote:

> Wouldn't you need some sort of receiver, if only to be able to detect
> when the channel is busy?

This is a tricky one:

Stephen mentioned that he wanted to home-brew a tracker for a car.
I'd think he'd want 10W or more in that case.  I'd prefer 20W for a
vehicle.

The channel-busy thing has been discussed on this list many times.
I _think_ that the general concensus was that it's ok sometimes to
not have a channel-busy, if it's a low-power tracker, probably 1W or
less.  I'm sure some will violently disagree that even the
low-powered ones should be allowed to be transmit-only (witness the
hoopla about the PocketTracker).

I think the requirements conflict here.  He needs higher power for
the car, so needs channel-busy detect of some sort.  If he goes to
lower power and a transmit-only setup, he won't get many posits
received by anyone.