[aprssig] TNC-X anyone?

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Sun Aug 27 10:09:10 EDT 2006

Is anyone using the TNC-X for APRS?  ( http://www.tnc-x.com/ )

I'm looking at using it to replace my IGate's current TNC (the built-
in TNC in an Alinco DR-135), as I'd like to do proper KISS between
the computer and the TNC (I've managed to get the DR-135 to do KISS,
but sometimes it would kick itself out of KISS mode for no apparent
reason).  I'll probably keep using the DR-135 as the radio, while
using the external TNC for the packet encoding/decoding.

Am I going to be happy with it in this application?  What would make
me happy is a TNC that decodes just as many packets as the Alinco
does, supports KISS (the flavor used by the Linux kernel drivers),
and requires very little "fiddling" once it's in place.  Transmit is
basically secondary to this - if it can send a packet the local digis
can repeat, I'm happy.  I basically want this to be a "set and
forget" type of TNC as I am often away from home for several weeks at
a time (yes, I check in on the IGate remotely, and can shut it down
remotely in case of problems).  I don't want something like the
Alinco which loses its' mind once in a while.