[aprssig] Re: [nwaprssig] KPC+ and uiview and GPS

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 11 13:00:28 EDT 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Tyson S. wrote:
>
> > I am trying to run uiview and a KPC3+ and a GPS all on one serial port,
> > is this possible? I tried a USB to serial converter but the laptop
> > keeps crashing and locking up with the thing plugged in. I heard that
> > you can use a special cable and run everything through the one serial
> > port but I do not know how. I am using KPC-3+ with version 9.1 software.
>
> It's called an "HSP" adapter.  You can build your own.  I did.  I
> wouldn't recommend using one though.  The idea is that the computer
> application switches the computer's RS-232 receive line between two
> serial ports, using a handshake line on that port to control it.

Oh yea, on a KPC-3+ there's another way involving putting the GPS
into separate pins on the KPC-3+.  You then hook the computer only
to the TNC.  It does take special wiring for this.  You need to hook
the GPS into two pins on a DE-9 as I recall.  I'm sure somebody will
post a link to the hookup diagram.