[aprssig] WX and Wind and mountain tops...

bob evinger wd9eka at evinger.com
Wed Apr 26 21:58:13 EDT 2006

A couple of less pessimistic comments.  I have(had) and waiting on
replacement parts for an Air 303, I assume for the purpose of this email
that the 400watt gen mentioned is probably its big brother. RK is
correct about the wind in general. However, i would argue that on a land
installation that they are prone to breakage, even though mine is
currently broken. I have an early 303, it had very flexible blades. It
took 9 years before I had a failure. My anemometer is at just under 20
feet, the generator is at approximately 50 feet. the weekend before
Easter we had some, um, interesting weather around here, lots of those
hanging down clouds that folks dont really want to see. I was watching
what appeared to be an in air funnel. It went south of us, about the
same time my anemometer recorded 5 minutes of high winds. peak gust was
84mph, again at 20 feet. The 303 is supposed to be able to survive a
100mph wind. I dont know that it hit 100, but I know it was at least 84
and potentially 30 feet up the tower it could have been somewhat more.
The blades probably flexed a bit too much, hit the tower and all 3 are
now mia along with the nose cone.  They have redesigned the blandes to
be a bit stiffer and they have changed the design of the housing to cant
the blades out 5 degrees to help keep it away from the pipe mast, i am
waiting on the newer designed replacement parts that were an extremely
good deal compared to replacing the entire generator.  9 years and a lot
of storms, I dont consider that prone to breakage. i could see at sea
where it might be a different story.  The wind generator doesnt produce
a lot but it helps, but I am in east central illinois, 50 miles north of
here and I'd be getting a lot more juice from it. I am in an area where
certain times of year the generator does make a difference, other times
I get virtually nothing.  Its a hobby I dont regret spending the money
on the wind generator 9 years ago, its been educational for me and it
provides some power.

Is the generator noisy, it makes noise, it definitely doesnt sound like
a helicopter. Its up 50 feet though and that might be the difference
when compared to being in close quarters on a boat. In a 30mph and
greater wind it is noticable, but no worse than the interstate 1/2 mile
away or the sound of the wind through the tree tops. But my nearest
neighbor is over 1/4 mile away. If you live in town or subdivision you
are always going to have somebody whining about something and trying to
infringe on some past time. That is why I live where I do.

regarding solar panels, I would definitely argue the  "average
milliwatts' statement.  I have about  470 watts of panels. I average
quite a  bit more than milliwatts on an average day. Its just a matter
of what one wants to spend. Most bean counters wouldnt touch PV or wind
because they cant  get the math to add up. Its not just about what is
economical at this instant in time. Its like that discover commercial,
when the storms come and the commercial power drops my kids dont know
what it means to not have electricity.  no I cant run my whole house 12
months a year off renewable, but I can run my shack and have 110v  power
available to every room in the house by throwing a transfer switch to
put them on the battery banked inverter when there is excess power.

I have the occasionally really dull solar day, but on average summertime
I can get over a kw a day, sometimes 2kw, in the wintertime I may be
lucky to average 600 to 800 watts a day.  That is a lot more than
averaging milliwatts.

If commercial power were to go out here for an extended period. We could
get by with what the panels and the wind gen produce. Lifestyle would
change but we would have light at night, be able to fire up some extras
once in a while. It cost me but sometimes you just have to say bah to
the bean counters and do what you want to do.

Bob, i dont know where you live. I assume it is in a residential area
that makes it rough. But if you have never read homepower magazine, you
should try it. take a look on line for it, they occasionally have some
interesting in town installations. At least it gives you something to
think about.

Yet another,
   bob