[aprssig] Windows re-booting

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Apr 21 17:56:47 EDT 2006

Andrew VK4TEC wrote...

> My APRS laptop keeps re-booting when I am not here.
> I have tried everything - i can not seem to find anything in the event
> viewer. ideas where to look for re-boot events in windows ?

Look for "Dr. Watson". Even Windows XP still comes with it. If it's Win XP,
just click on START - HELP and search for Dr. Watson and you will find a
shortcut to start it. Hopefully it can log some errors for you before it
crashes.

Do you have "power management" turned OFF in the bios so Windows
can take care of the power management for you? Also, in the power options
properties in Windows, do you have it set for "always on" or something
appropriate (i.e.not laptop) and have it set to never sleep / hibernate...
i.e. it's not going to try and turn itself off after a period of inactivity?

Also... does the laptop have a battery in it? If it doesn't, it wouldn't
take much of an interruption for it to reboot. How about thermal... does the
laptop run reasonably cool? It isn't so hot that plain old heat is making it
crash?

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH