[aprssig] What (if anything) can be gated from HF direct to APRS IS?

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Thu Apr 20 07:47:54 EDT 2006

You can gate anything _from_ HF _to_ APRS-IS.  Gating _from_ APRS-IS
_to_ HF is something more complex due to the potential for multiple
IGates on 30 meters, for instance, that would try to gate out to HF.

If your friend was seeing ACKS coming through an ECHO, was it in a
third-party packet (APRS-IS) or was it "direct" (not from APRS-IS)?  In
either case, if it was showing ECHO* in the path, that was because the
IGate (first case) or sending station (second case) has ECHO in the
path.  IGates do not (should not) try to auto-set their paths for just
this reason (and many others).

This is another example of how AX.25 was never designed to be a
networking protocol and how it fails miserably when we keep trying to
force-fit it into that layer.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net