[aprssig] WTB: serial GPS mouse

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Apr 19 07:20:25 EDT 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 12:48 AM, apratt at bestbits.org wrote:

> But I'm always looking for a bargain, so whaddaya got?

Scot has a Deluo for $58, and a Garmin GPS18LVC for $78.  I've used
several of the GPS18s - they're top notch.  I work with a fellow who
bought the Deluo to go with his OT and has had no problems.  Either
will connect to an OT.

Both of these need regulated +5V and may need rs232 level conversion,
depending on your application.  If you want something a bit more
general purpose, add the Deluo USB adapter for $10.50, or get a
Garmin GPS18PC for $89 from adventuregps.com.

If you want to go cheap, prepare yourself for some work and look for
surplus GPS engines out of tracking systems.  My "main" GPS attached
to my D700 is a $13 Trimble SV6 which required re-flashing with a DOS
computer after I built an interface board.

-Jason
kg4wsv