[aprssig] Wiki frustration (was TNC vs AGWPE)

apratt at bestbits.org apratt at bestbits.org
Tue Apr 18 12:57:14 EDT 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:21:16 -0600, "Stephen H. Smith" wrote:
> I attempted to put some stuff on it a week or so ago and got
> so frustrated with the HORRIBLE user interface that I
> finally gave up. It refused to accept my attempt to sign up
> and kept trying to refer me to a FAQ on user names that
> is inaccessible until you are already signed up.

I myself fixed this a while ago. As described here already, the
problem was that the word WikiName is a link to a page that's supposed
to explain how to choose a name, and the page didn't exist. This meant
the link would take you to the "create/edit this page" screen, but you
couldn't see that unless you were registered. Catch-22. I created the
WikiName page, and now you get real help when you click on it.

You might try registering again. The restriction on login names is
that they must start with a capital letter *and* have at least one
more capital somewhere in them, like DummyUser but not Dummyuser or
dummyUser. I agree this is a silly and unexpected restriction on user
names, and the login page should say so outright, but at least now you
can get help when it complains at you.

As for AGWPE and the "Sound card tuning aid": rather than putting
instructions on the Wiki it would be nice if the AGWPE docs or that
screen of AGWPE itself told you what the tuning goal was (no
clipping), instead of just showing you the sine wave and other
diagrams without telling you what you're supposed to achieve there.

-- Allan Pratt, apratt at bestbits.org