[aprssig] TNC vs AGWPE

John Habbinga kc5zrq at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 04:40:28 EDT 2006

Don't use the "9600" out.  As far as I know, the ISS uses 1200 baud.

I'm not sure that I understand.  With your D700 you adjust the frequency to
compensate for the doppler effect and you can decode packets.  Your system
at home, where you don't adjust the frequency to compensate for the dopple
effect, you can't decode packets.

When you ask about the performance of AGWPE, I assume your talking about the
soundcard TNC feature, just one small part of what AGWPE does.  The most
important part is that your audio levels are correct and that no ground
loops exist.  This means that the computer, the radio and soundcard
interface all share a common ground.

Laptops usually have a microphone input and a headphone output, but not a
line-in.  I have learned from exerience that sometimes, even when you
manually set the audio levels, the microphone input tries to automatically
compensate for loud sounds.  This "ALC" usually can't be disabled.  You
might try a desktop computer with a line level input or get an external
soundblaster for the laptop.