[aprssig] IGates in Baton Rouge

Christopher T. Day CTDay at lbl.gov
Mon Apr 10 23:57:56 EDT 2006

Maybe someone here can tell me what's going on. I'm very new to the APRS
game, so I'm probably doing something dumb.

I'm visiting in Baton Rouge, LA and set up my laptop with UI-view and
Packet Engine Pro. I've been trying to use WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1 as my path,
which is the current recommendation as I understand it. But nothing
seems to be getting through to findu. I see a bunch of stations around
me on UI-view and there is even one that digipeats me, but nobody around
me - except some directly connected weather stations - has made it to
findu recently either. It appears the K5LSU-5 is expected to be the
local IGate, but also has not been heard from all day. The one packet of
mine the did make it to findu was sent during a brief interval this
morning when I used WIDE3-3 to see if I could get anywhere; the IGate
was in Port Arthur, TX.

Is there just no IGate running in Baton Rouge at the moment, or have I
misunderstood what I'm seeing or am I doing something completely wrong?
I know very little about fancy was to look up things in findu or
anywhere else. Thanks a lot.

            Chris - AE6VK-1 visiting Baton Rouge, LA