[aprssig] Re: aprssig Digest, Vol 22, Issue 6

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Thu Apr 6 20:47:18 EDT 2006

> As one of today's registrars, I can say that the registration process
> can take anything from 10 minutes after the request had been posted
> (from the reg web site) until processed by the registrar, and
> up to some
> days; one cannot expect that registrars do nothing else than wait for
> incoming requests on a friday afternoon - we/they might visit friends,
> travel somewhere far away from any computer, whatever. So
> from less than
> an hour up to four days would be normal for that voluntary service.

There's still another possibility...

http://n1vg.net/images/uivpatch.gif

I've been sitting on this because of the flamewar that erupted last time I
brought it up, a year ago.

The program explains the situation, suggests that you make a donation to a
cancer research organization, provides links to four of them, requires the
user to indicate that they understand, and then removes the registration
requirement and provides the APRS IS validation password for their callsign.

It's a single 24k executable, and it changes a total of 3 bytes in
UI-View32.  It'd eliminate the need for volunteer registrars, and would
respect Roger's wishes as I understand them.  I don't intend to publish it,
though, without the OK from his estate.

Scott
N1VG