[aprssig] digi and igate coverage in the plains

Tyler Allison tyler at allisonhouse.com
Thu Sep 29 20:31:39 EDT 2005

I'm working with a storm chasing team (educational) from a local
university that is considering outfitting one of their vehicles with an
APRS tracker so their home based nowcaster (like forecasting but "now")
can track their location for better storm forecasting and advice for
positioning and safety.

One major concern is none of us hams in the group have run an APRS tracker
in the plains so we are leary of the coverage.

Is there a way for me to put together a "likely" coverage map for APRS to
see if running a tracker would prove useful or an excercise in futility as
we blink in and out every couple hours?

Think of it as a SAR operation covering 11 states :)

The main states would probably be:
Eastern Colorado
Northern Texas
OK, KS, NE, SD, MN, IA, MO, WI, IL

If you think it's worth it what path should we use for maximum chance of
coverage?

-Tyler

--
"For every winner, there are dozens of loosers. Odds are you're one of
them." - Despair.com