[aprssig] WINAPRS HELP

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 28 14:33:53 EDT 2005

cedwards at trane.com wrote:
> I am trying to help someone get back into APRS after many years of being
> gone, and a hard drive crash. He likes using WINAPRS but needs to know what
> commercial mapping programs it uses so he can run around in his RV. Thanks!
>
> chris
> ae4xo

The current version doesn't support any currently available commercial
mapping programs.   It does work with the now out-of-date and
no-longer-available  Precision Mapping Ver 5.0.

The current version of WinAPRS DOES use US government TIGER file mapping
data (the free public domain mapping database that is the source for
many commercial mapping products).   The data is in huge files that have
to be downloaded from a government website.

Note also that WinAPRS does not fully support the current APRS symbol
set as updated earlier this year.

You may want to consider UI-View instead.   It uses the current
Precision Mapping 7.0 or the older, discontinued  PMap 5.0 or PMap 6.0
as well. It can also use a variety of static bitmap  images from various
sources.

Info at:
    http://www.uiview.org

Scroll down about 2/3rds of the way down the page to "PMap Server 7" for
info about this add-on to use Precision Mapping with UI-View.

If you are returning to APRS after a several years absence, you will
also want to familiarize yourself with the major change in APRS path
settings that has been implemented over the last 9-12 months.   Detailed
info here on my website:

    http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:              wa8lmf