[aprssig] APRS help

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Sep 27 13:32:53 EDT 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 12:15 PM, Rahn wrote:

> All this discussion about AJ3U-5 is very interesting. But I am looking
> for some very basic help. I have a Kenwood TMD700A and I have put my
> basic settings in it like my callsign, the baud rate etc.... The path
> is set to RELAY, WIDE.

Depending on where you are, this won't work.  Try WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,
which is the currently recommended 3 hop path.  (I personally use
WIDE3-3 as my 3 hop path with success, but try the standard first!)

>  I am in the middle of a GPS build project so I don't actually have a
> GPS running yet so I have put a fixed position in there. I have put in
> some position comments etc...

On the surface it sounds like you're OK other than the possible
(probable) path problem.  Do you notice the APRS side of the radio
displaying "ONAIR......", or notice a "MY POSITION" message that would
indicate you're getting digipeated and your D700 heard its own report
back?

-Jason
kg4wsv