[aprssig] AJ3U-5 Sat Packets

Christensen, Eric H CHRISTENSENE at MAIL.ECU.EDU
Mon Sep 26 20:57:36 EDT 2005

They appeared to obviously come from AJ3U-5 and not a satellite.  Just
because it says ISS in the packet doesn't mean that it came from there.

Eric KF4OTN

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org [mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]
On Behalf Of Andrew Rich
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 8:51 PM
To: Robert Bruninga; steve at dimse.com; aprssig at lists.tapr.org;
vk4tec at tech-software.net
Subject: Re: [aprssig] AJ3U-5 Sat Packets

When you create web pages and stats based on the APRS IS data, if you get
land based packets that "look" like they came from a satellite, then you do
not have the real data. You have someone's made up satellite packets.

When you only have 30 odd lines to show the last real satellite packets, you
don't want it clogged up with ground based faked packets.

It is a constant battle to keep having to code out other packets that may
interfere.

Like APRS Spam, a packet says it came from a sat when it did not.