[aprssig] Balloon Launch Check-list.... jet stream floater coming to eastern US soon.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Sep 26 16:18:00 EDT 2005

>>> kmcaviezel at yahoo.com 09/26/05 3:52 PM >>>
>...ascerting that an airborne beacon on 144.39
>will cripple the entire APRS network.   I used to fly
>WIDE, now I'll fly WIDE2-1 under the new-N paradigm.

Yes, before, a wrong setting like RELAY or containing
multiple WIDE's was a disaster.  Now with the new N
paradigm, even WIDE2-2 is OK, since all New-N digis
will do dupe-checking and so even if they hear it
multiple times, they still only digipeat it once.

It was a learning experience when this balloon came down
just fine, but we could not get a good packet, unless we
were within 1/4 mile.  Meaning my first few passes at
60 MPh caused me to miss it...

Bob