[aprssig] Re: More on the findU server issue...

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Sun Sep 25 18:01:52 EDT 2005

> Depends what you call heavy writes. SQL opinions are a lot
> like OS opinions, as much a religion as fact. When people
> bash MySQL, it is generally not on the subject of

I'm not trying to bash MySQL - it drives me nuts with some of its lacking
features, but it works fine for what it was designed for, usually.

> Each packet results in multiple writes...for example, a
> position report writes the raw packet, the position into the

That's why I gave the factor of 100 increase.  Again, I know very little
about MySQL architecture so I'm not sure if it's feasible to split up table
and index access between multiple disks.  I don't even know if it's got a
redo log concept like Oracle.

I do know that I had an Oracle 9i database on an old PII-400 machine with
old 8 GB SCSI drives (non-RAID - had to shut the Gladiator array off due to
the power bill!) that was keeping up with all of the standard APRS position
packets (no MIC-E), updating regular and spatial indexes, and handling a few
queries without breaking a sweat.  I'm surprised that MySQL has such a hard
time.  But I do seem to remember reading that MySQL was really intended for
website backends where you're mostly concerned about serving many read
requests as fast as possible - could be that it's still not very good at
writing efficiently while it's reading.

Anyway, none of that helps FindU.  An Oracle license would cost more than
the server hardware even if you could convert it.  I'm just curious for my
own use... I wonder if any of the other free RDBMS's are any better.

Scott
N1VG