[aprssig] Re: Serial port to USB question

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Fri Sep 23 12:11:52 EDT 2005

Ray McKnight wrote:
> If you delete the driver from the system I don't see how it could possibly
> "keep coming back".  Have you tried that?  That is, of course, as long as
> the driver isn't shared by something else that's needed...
>
> You will also possibly be susceptible to reinstallation of the driver
> from web updates.

Roger, one of the issues with USB devices is that you can plug them into
multiple ports, and each one of those ports is unique, and thus the OS has to
allow you to have multiples of any USB device.  You may be experiencing the
problems that ensue when you've plugged your serial converter into another port,
or into a hub recently attached to one of your USB ports.

I've started using specific ports for specific devices to help keep myself from
fighting with this issue.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW