[aprssig] Group Tracker Build Projects ?

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Thu Sep 22 21:15:29 EDT 2005

Scott's OpenTracker "quantity pricing" is a good deal.  We had a local club
build 6 little "stand-alone, drop-in" trackers, for events.  Event
experience indicates 5 watts out of the radio into a quarter-wave antenna is
good.  Including a self-contained gell-cell battery is usually more
acceptable for "drop-in" than is _only_ a cigarette lighter outlet power
cord.  No-display GPS receivers are less likely to be accidentally
"borrowed" for other uses.

Using the routine North American mobile digipath WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 for the
trackers too means that even for remote events you only might need to add
one "fill-in" digi (only responding to WIDE1-1) overlooking the remote event
site.

Putting functional "tactical calls" into drop-in trackers at event time or
pre-event is difficult.  The tactical call identifiers keep changing.
Easier MYcall settings are CLUB-1 through CLUB-15 (like LPARC-1 through
LPARC-6, but not "functional" identifiers like SAG-1 through SAG-6).

Good luck!  Getting  a bunch of stations moving around and changing data is
the key to keeping folks interested in the event map.  More caches of
"stand-alone, drop-in" trackers available for quick deployment can help.
73, Cap KE6AFE