[aprssig] No mas, please!

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 22:37:37 EDT 2005

This is probably because an IGate in that area has set up a wildcard
to gate all reports from the local NWS office.  I suspect the IGate
operator doesn't realize that it includes the spanish bulletins.  The
same thing happened to me when I started gating weather bulletins.

The IGate operator needs to either remove the wildcard and gate only
specific types of weather reports which are appropriate (preferred),
or leave the wildcard and block out the spanish bulletins.  If you can
find out the callsign of the IGate that is sending them, let them know
this is what they need to do.

A.J.

On 9/15/05, Mark White <jmarkw at ec.rr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 09/15/2005, 05:28PM, Kurt Keilhofer wrote:
> > While traveling thru Morgantown, WV, Pittsburgh, PA, Cleveland, OH, and
> > along I-80 in central PA I have been bombarded with what I am assuming are
> > Spanish language hurricane and tropical storm warning bulletins. I am
> > willing to bet that the number of Spanish literate APRS Amateurs in these
> > areas is very small. With as much has been done to reduce unnecessary and
> > redundant traffic why are these being broadcast?
> >
> > Kurt
> > KC8RWD(-14)
> >

> If you have an example of the packets you were hearing, I can verify the
> language as my wife is from Argentina and speaks fluent Spanish.  I
> think hams need to be careful about gating weather packets to RF.  As
> Hurricane Ophelia passed by my QTH (Wilmington, NC) I gated NHC position
> packets as well as NWS bulletins.  The packets can be quite frequent so
> you have to keep QRM in mind...especially if you are within ear shot of
> a wide area digi (which I am not).
>
> 73 de KE4QKT
> Mark

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U