[aprssig] No mas, please!

Mark White jmarkw at ec.rr.com
Thu Sep 15 22:27:39 EDT 2005

On Thu, 09/15/2005, 05:28PM, Kurt Keilhofer wrote:
> While traveling thru Morgantown, WV, Pittsburgh, PA, Cleveland, OH, and
> along I-80 in central PA I have been bombarded with what I am assuming are
> Spanish language hurricane and tropical storm warning bulletins. I am
> willing to bet that the number of Spanish literate APRS Amateurs in these
> areas is very small. With as much has been done to reduce unnecessary and
> redundant traffic why are these being broadcast?
>
> Kurt
> KC8RWD(-14)

If you have an example of the packets you were hearing, I can verify the
language as my wife is from Argentina and speaks fluent Spanish.  I
think hams need to be careful about gating weather packets to RF.  As
Hurricane Ophelia passed by my QTH (Wilmington, NC) I gated NHC position
packets as well as NWS bulletins.  The packets can be quite frequent so
you have to keep QRM in mind...especially if you are within ear shot of
a wide area digi (which I am not).

73 de KE4QKT
Mark