[aprssig] Sending messages from the keyboard.

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Sep 15 09:00:42 EDT 2005

Bruce VE5BNC wrote on Sept 15 2005

> Thanks to everyone that replied.  It looks like it will work. We
> hope to use this as a demonstration of how anyone with a packet station
> can take advantage of APRS's capabilities during an emergency.

That's great that you have it figured out how non-APRS stations can (if they
know and practise using the correct syntax) can send an APRS message, but I
would think it would be a lot more practical if they were "real" APRS
stations so they could beacon their position, and have the ability both send
and receive "real" APRS messages. You are talking about stations that have a
computer, a TNC and a radio running. The only thing you need to add is an
APRS client and instead of the operator having to remember the correct
syntax while the pressure is on, it could be as simple as typing the message
into a text box that will tell them how many characters they are permitted,
and helping them to easily determine the last heard path to the destination
station, or their own default path, or another selected by the operator and
sending it on its way. Choose your favourite APRS client, but UI-View32 is
available from www.ui-view.org with the only thing asked being a donation to
the cancer agency of your choice. There is nothing wrong with innovation or
experimentation or learning enough about the correct syntax to send an APRS
message with an otherwise non-APRS enabled station, but I still think a
better route would be to get the packet station to just run a proper APRS
program.

Just my opinion.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH