[aprssig] How should this work -> TRACE WIDE2-2

Andre PE1RDW aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Wed Sep 14 10:31:50 EDT 2005

Andre PE1RDW schreef:

> VE7GDH schreef:
>
>> Maiko VE4KLM wrote on Sept 13 2005
>>
>>> Let's say that my system recognizes WIDE2-2, but not
>>> the TRACE digi call.
>>>
>>> A station on RF sends a MIC-E frame as follows :
>>>
>>> STATION > UXXXXX via TRACE via WIDE2-2
>>>
>>> question 1: should my system digi this as a WIDE2-1, or
>>> should my system ignore this (since TRACE is the immediate
>>> destination call, not WIDE2-2) ?
>>

>> Stephen's answer is correct. However, if you are going to buy into
>> the "new
>> paradigm", you should realize that RELAY, WIDE, TRACE and TRACEn-n
>> are obsolete (at least in North America) and shouldn't be used...
>> i.e. you
>> should not be supporting TRACE. However, from your comment, it sound
>> like you may already be not supporting it.
>>
> <snip>
>
>> See http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html for an
>> explanation
>> of the "new paradigm" settings. If you are using a KPC-3+ for your
>> digi (doesn't look like you are), see www.nwaprs.info (the old URL
>> was www.nwaprs.org) for a site that gives a really clear explanation
>> of the suggested settings. There are links to both the "fix 144.390"
>> and NWAPRS sites in the "APRS Links" section at the bottom of the
>> main page on the UI-View32 site at www.ui-view.org.
>>
> Knowing Maiko he wants to incorperate aprs digipeating into jnos, it
> would make sence as there is already an igate module in jnos written
> by him.
>
> In that case my sugestion would be to make it flexable.
> It could be rule driven like digi_ned
> http://www.qsl.net/digi_ned/
> or a definable uiflood and uitrace call like:
> set uiflood ss (new n-n) or set uiflood wide (existing n-n)
> set uitrace wide (new n-n) or set uitrace trace (existing n-n)
> set uihop 2 (new n-n) or set uihop 7 (existing n-n)
>
> A very clear discription on how aprs path should behave is given in
> the path.txt file from the aprs dos package
> in short the uiflood alias decreases the number of the ssid everytime
> it is digipeated on and only the first (when the ssid matches the
> number after the alias) will have the call inserted.
> uitrace always has the call inserted.
> uihop would limit the number of hops it would act on, so with uihop
> set to 2 it will only act for wide2-2 and not wide3-3 or alternativly
> change wide3-3 to wide2-2 before acting on it.

One addition to come back to the original question, pre-emptive
digipeating where you ignore the unsuported aliases and jump right to
the suported alias is a very usefull function, it can sometimes give
unexpected results but I think it is worth it to include the option,
operators can always decide to include it or not.

73 de Andre PE1RDW