[aprssig] Re: Help setting up Kenwood D700A

Vic Fraenckel victorf at windreader.com
Tue Sep 13 06:49:24 EDT 2005

Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I do not understand the D700s APRS Menu. I have been told to set the radio to TNC PKT for use with APRSPoint. How do the APRS (menu 3) settings figure in here?

>Make sure you have told the radio if you are or are
>not using a GPS

My settings:

Menu item 3-1 My Callsign = KC2GUI-1
Menu item 3-2 GPS UNIT = NMEA
Menu Item 3-B Packet Path = Wide2-2
Menu Item 3-C Packet TX = AUTO

There is no indication that I am sending my position. As I mentioned, I have even checked findu several times and cannot find any entries for KC2GUI-1. My position DOES NOT ever show up on the APRSPoint map tho other stations do. I would expect that some of the aread digis would tramsmit my packets????

>Also, another menu setting has to be set to what NMEA string to expect from the >GPS.

I assume you mean in APRSPoint? I cannot find such a setting in the D700 menus.

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOT com
KC2GUI

      Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
                               Read the WIND

"Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough
men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign: that
all the dunces are in confederacy against him."   -Jonathan Swift