[aprssig] Re: GPS to D700 Connection

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Sep 9 19:23:25 EDT 2005

victorf at windreader.com wrote:

> *Could someone sort out a technical detail for me. I am attaching a
> GPS35-HV to a Kenwood D700A. The GPS35 has a cigar lighter power
> connector and a DB9 RS232 connector as standard equipment. *
> **
> *The diagram in the D700A Specialized Communications Instruction
> Manual has a diagram on page 10 which shows the 3 conductor plug with
> pigtail to GPS wiring. I want to make up a DB9 connector on the end of
> the plug's pigtail. The diagram says the white lead goes to the GPS
> DATA IN, the red lead goes to the GPS DATA OUT  and the shield goes to
> GPS GND. I understand that the three pins on the DB9 I need
> to  connect to are 2, 3 and 5. Shield goes to 5. Which pigtail
> lead goes to 2 and which goes to 3. Pin 2 is normally called RXD and
> pin 3 is normally called TXD. I am always confused by this. Just tell
> me red => 2, white => 3 or whatever. I am not smart enough to go
> beyond that.*
> **

Just wire it one way or the other.  You have a 50/50 chance of it
working on the first try.  Nothing will be damaged if 2 and 3 are
reversed.   If it doesn't work, just transpose the wiring on pins 3 and 2.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths

Updated APRS Symbol Chart