[aprssig] GPS to D700 Connection

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Fri Sep 9 15:33:00 EDT 2005

Vic,

You have a 50 50 chance of right or wrong

pins 2&3 are data in / out on a db9

gnd pin5 well u can not get that wrong.

What I did with mine is start the D700 and set gps type to "NMEA"

or even better, goto the packet mon screen

You should see GPS data there.

You can not really do any harm getting them mixed up for testing.

On mine I only use white and dumped the red lead, what's the point of
sending data back to the gps with no screen ?

So that narrows it down to the white lead.

You want to hook the white lead to the txd pin (3) on the db9

pretty simple but yes it is amazing how many people get it wrong.

The other thing i use is a buzzer on my multimeter . you can "hear" the 4800
baud gps data

Andy vk4tec