[aprssig] APRS In the New Orleans Area

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sun Sep 4 05:56:28 EDT 2005

AJ,

This is not a matter of whether I agree or not with somebody.  It has to
do with whether amateur radio operators _help_ or _hurt_ emergency
operations in the affected areas.  So far we have responded tremendously
well.  I want to see that continue and the way that continues is by
people following the rules.  As I feared, this discussion has been
littered with people trying to justify and encourage people going into
the area to set up operations that may not be of ANY use just because
APRS is supposed to be perfect for whatever in these peoples' minds.
Those people are not in the affected area nor are they participating in
the emergency operations.

I NEVER said or implied that this thread affects those _already_ in the
affected areas.  I DID say that it affects those who might be _planning_
to go into the affected areas.  I gave links for people to apply to be
deployed into the area as well as indicating where the well-intentioned
could get real training on emergency communications.

People posting messages saying "the best use of APRS" or "more
productive to spend our efforts on the periphery of the disaster to get
digipeaters in there" are espousing their opinion with no knowledge of
the actual needs on the ground just because they would like to see APRS
used.  Resources are stretched thin and will continue to be for the
foreseeable future.  It is counter-productive for those reading this SIG
who will be deployed to be encouraged to play with their radios versus
doing what they are being deployed for.

For those who have questioned my integrity and my background in this
thread: I have been active on the HF emergency and health/welfare nets
since this started.  I am the AEC liaison to the Red Cross in my county
just north of Dallas, TX.  I have handled both emergency and h/w traffic
for the Red Cross and for other organizations in the affected areas.
But most of all, I have LISTENED and ONLY transmitted when necessary and
directed to by the various net controls.  I knew about the University
Hospital operation by the Tallahassee group when it was going on because
they were using HF to communicate.  I also knew that there was nobody in
New Orleans to generate Bob's precious "I'm ok" emails and soon there
won't be anyone there to generate them for.  And I knew that some (if
not all) of that area had not gone to the "new paradigm" so trying to
put it in place now would also be counter-productive.

I am not saying that these suggestions were not well-intentioned.  I am
saying that their presentation was misguided and misleading and
potentially dangerous should people think they can just go down there
and do it on their own.  As once was said "The road to He.. is paved
with good intentions."  Be part of the solution, not the problem.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net