[aprssig] APRS Activity in New Orleans

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Sep 4 01:38:52 EDT 2005

Ray (no callsign) wrote on 03/09/2005

> I must respectfully ask by who's authority this "DO NOT
> SEND MESSAGES" demand is issued?

Demand? Perhaps you haven't been watching the news. There was a devastating
hurricane in the vicinity of New Orleans recently. The death toll is
certainly in the hundreds... possibly as many as 10,000. Just common sense
should tell you that frivolous messages sent into the area are just QRM.
Most people don't need a demand to prevent them from causing wilful
interference with an emergency operation. Any frequency that has emergency
communications taking place on it - not just the APRS frequency - should be
reserved for just that... emergency communications. There's a big difference
between relaying emergency traffic and clogging the airwaves with fluff. I
hope you do exercise prudent judgement.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH