[aprssig] Generators and LPG Conversion (was APRS in NOLA)

bob evinger wd9eka at evinger.com
Fri Sep 2 08:13:23 EDT 2005

I was hoping someone besides me would state this. I have two people both
extremely electronics savvy that did this in my area, one related to me,
one who has work in the electronics field for over 40 years. Neither of
them realized or at the time felt there was anything wrong with doing it
that way. Both were fully capable of properly installing transfer switches
in their homes.

I have lived in two homes and in both cases I have installed a transfer
switch. The first time I used and RV/Boat 30amp shore switch that used
time delay relays to give the generator time to warm up  a bit. and I had
a subset of circuits that I fed that were my "critical" circuits.
The shoreline switch was not terribly expensive especially when one
considers the risks and legalities of a double male plug(SUICIDE plug).

House two where I am now. I found a manual transfer switch that is 100 amp
service interior only and actually can switch over the entire residence
and out building.

I have what amounts to a double redundant system. I can run the entire
place on the generator. But I also have a 500 watt solar, 300 watt wind
generator feeding a large industrial battery bank and a 2.4kw inverter. In
the house I have permanent wiring with a transfer switch that runs the
majority of the circuits in the house so that when there isnot enough sun
I can put that part of the house back on commercial power. When it is
storming or plenty of alternative energy available I run the house on sun
and wind.  My aprs and full time packet system runs on a smaller UPS that
when the battery in it dies it auto transfers to the solar
inverter/batteries.

The manual transfer switches were under 200 for the generator.

bob

Bob Evinger EMT-I  WD9EKA/AAR5MG(Army MARS operator)
The public highway system is not Daytona, and you are not Jeff Gordan.