[aprssig] Airborne APRS

Art Bertheaume abertheaume at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 28 13:14:35 EDT 2005

Message: 10
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:37:20 -0400
From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Airborne APRS
To: <aprssig at lists.tapr.org>

> I'd  suggest a Kenwood TH-D7A handheld -
>that should be all you need to receive
>and decode a position.

On the other hand, the D7 cannot digipeat,
 leaving the ground crew in the dark...
so I'd suggest any other TNC radio combo
(that can have the FULL DUP setting or DCD
Ignore setting).  Bob

While simplicity in the aircraft is the best,  the D-7 can be made to digi and only specificly what you choose to dig using the digi-ned software.  You can set the unproto path to anything you choose and have digi-ned digipeat only that statement.  If your chase vehicles happen to find themselves in area without digipeater service,  they could also use the benefit of the high altitude digi as well...