[aprssig] what are the currently available inexpensive GPS suitable for APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Oct 27 17:54:01 EDT 2005

kd4moj at kd4moj.org wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>

>>But then using KPC3s as trackers should be discouraged anyway, since
>>they only transmit the long, air-time-wasting non-compressed raw NMEA
>>strings.   The main value of the dedicated GPS port is in computer
>>installations where it avoids the kludgy HSP port sharing gizmos to get
>>both TNC RX and GPS data into a single serial port on a laptop.
>>

>   Only if you want to POSIT and have no messaging capabilities. Nothing
>like sending a message to a ham taveling through your down only to realize
>that he is using a Tinytrak or one of the variants and can't
>"talk" to anyone. I'm not slamming them (I have one of scott's
>opentrackers) just that the KPC3/+ is a useful tool for messaging.
>
>  Just my 2 cents...

If you are messaging, you are using a program on an external computer
which (hopefully) can format and send short-form APRS-format or even
shorter Mic-E compressed-format posits.   You would be using the KPC3's
GPS passthough feature to the main serial port connected to the
computer,   but not it's "dumb tracker" stand-alone beaconing
capability.  (The program such as UIview, Xastir, or APRSplus would be
handling the position beaconing, not the TNC's firmware.)

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths

Updated APRS Symbol Chart