[aprssig] what are the currently available inexpensive GPS suitable for APRS

Doug Ferrell kd4moj at kd4moj.org
Thu Oct 27 16:39:02 EDT 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> But then using KPC3s as trackers should be discouraged anyway, since
> they only transmit the long, air-time-wasting non-compressed raw NMEA
> strings.   The main value of the dedicated GPS port is in computer
> installations where it avoids the kludgy HSP port sharing gizmos to get
> both TNC RX and GPS data into a single serial port on a laptop.

   Only if you want to POSIT and have no messaging capabilities. Nothing
like sending a message to a ham taveling through your down only to realize
that he is using a Tinytrak or one of the variants and can't
"talk" to anyone. I'm not slamming them (I have one of scott's
opentrackers) just that the KPC3/+ is a useful tool for messaging.

  Just my 2 cents...

--
...DOUG
KD4MOJ