[aprssig] USB GPS receiver

Brad [VE3BSM] lists.nospam at bpsmicro.com
Thu Oct 27 07:52:50 EDT 2005

Is there a way to convert or adapt this receiver for use with a tracker/tnc?
Holux sells this unit with a PS2 connector and adapters can be used to do
what I need.  I thought of making a pigtail with a USB female to PS2
male/female (whichever is needed) then get/make the adapter.  Will this
work?  I have posed this question to Holux and have not received an answer
yet.
<<

You need RS-232 out that uses NMEA sentences. I'm not familiar with this
unit so one immediate question is whether it outputs NMEA or some other
(typically proprietary) format. If the latter, you're screwed right off the
bat.
If it *is* NMEA, you can't just "convert" to RS-232. Other than having
"serial" in the acronym, it's not even close to the same.
Personally, I don't think your odds of success are very high. But the
manufacturer should (hopefully) give you some guidance. Maybe the'll do a
trade-in.

Brad.
VE3BSM