[aprssig] Delayed Packets

Stan Coleman [NØYXV] n0yxv at gihams.org
Mon Oct 24 02:42:28 EDT 2005

> This exact topic came up a couple of weeks ago.  I don't recall if the
> cause was ever discovered and posted back to the list, but you might
> want to search the archives.

Been watching the list for several months now haven't seen this exact topic go
by before. Seen a couple that were similar but involved specific software
packages.

> A common cause of delayed packets like this can be a digi that has a
> malfunctioning or improperly set squelch.  If the squelch is kept
> open, then the digi will collect packets in its buffer and dump them
> all at once whenever it finally closes.  This could be minutes, or
> even hours after the packets are actually transmitted by the
> originating stations.

Stuck Digi wouldn't work in this first case of the mobile jumping back and forth
across town. RF logs only show one packet. Might have been the cause for the
second seniaro though.

Along those lines though I have noticed that if a TNC can't send it's data to a
computer it will hold several packets. Potentialy hours worth of data could be
held if the buffer in the TNC was large enough or packet activity small enough.
Those packets could then be retransmitted after a computer has rebooted.