> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Transmitting data to a hot

keith allen ag4ac at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 23 10:13:18 EDT 2005

I agree with the conclusions and wording of the below statements to the
extent they go.

F. Keith Allen,  AG4AC
President, CCERC
NM, St Clair ARES Nets
My cellphone is a HAM Radio.You want to talk to me, GET A LICENSE!

permitted under the US FCC amateur rules.

> With respect to one-way transmissions of weather information:
>
> 97.3(a)(45) defines "telemetry" as "a one-way transmission of
measurements at a distance from the measuring instrument."

> 97.111(b)(7) explicitly permits one-way transmission of telemetry
information.

> As for unattended transmitters:
> 97.3(a)(6) defines automatic control as "The use of devices and
procedures for control of a station when it is transmitting so that
complaince with the FCC Rules is achieved without the control operator
being present at a control point."

> 97.109(d) states that "When a station is being automatically controlled,
the control operator need not be at the control point...Automatic control
must cease ipon notification by a District Dierector that the station is
transmitting improperly..."

> Under 97.221(b), "A station may be automatically controlled while
transmitting RTTY or data emissions on the 6 m or shorter wavelength
bands..."

> I'm not a lawyer (and I don't play one on TV), but these rules tell me
that:

> 1. Using an amateur radio transmitter to transmit weather data (or the
position of an aircraft, for that matter) is a permited one-way
transmission. (One way means there does not have to be an intended
recipient.)

> 2. It is permitted to build a tracker that has built in identification
and put it in a place or vehicle that is not attended by a licensed
amateur, as long as you can get to it and turn it off if it creates a
problem.