[aprssig] D700 as a digi

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 19 16:55:38 EDT 2005

>> We were fortunate to have a D700 handy for
>>JOTA... last  weekend.... as a fill in WIDE1-1 digi.
>
>Sorry, I meant to qualify that as sucking at more
>than fill-in operation. ... but they don't have the
>brains to do much more on their own

Disagree completely.  The D700 can stand alone as
a fully performing WIDEn-N with not only full support
of UIDIGI, UIFLOOD and UITRACE parameters but
also has additional DIGI capabilities not even found
in the ubiquitous KPC3:

1)  The UIFLOOD "first" paramter that will cause it
to insert its callsign only if it is the first digi.  This
obviates the need for UITRACE and keeps paths
shorter than normal...

2) Digipeating by SSID only.  This saves 7 to 21
bytes per packet for very high efficiency in
specialized local events.

>I don't mean to be TASCO-bashing, but I don't
>think anyone's going to run a WIDE digi with one.

I think you may be missinformed.  The D700 has
many excellent DIGI features in them and make
excellent WIDEn-N or just about anyother kind
of digi.   But on the other hand, it is a waste to put
such a capable radio on a hill top when it is so much
more capable as a mobile APRS all-in-one radio...

But for emergency temporary APRS digipeating,
it is just about perfect...

Bob, Wb4APR