[aprssig] PACCOMM TNC & WIDEn-N clarification

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Fri Oct 21 08:45:07 EDT 2005

 >As it turns out, after discussing this exercise with the digi owner, we're
 >going to move forward with an "upgrade" to UIDIGI for both his PacComm-based
 >digis.

I think you'll be pleased. The ONLY headache with the UIDIGI is it has no
local console. I mean, you can make some changes with a terminal, but at
the site, if you need to run the "cal" routine, to check deviation, or, you
want to watch the channel. For those things you will need the current ROM
handy. So don't toss it or erase it! :)

Another trick some folks do, but I don't have the specifics handy:

TNC-2 Roms are 256k. You can get a 512k EPROM, load UIDIGI in one half, the
original code in the other, and wire a switch to select which is in use.
Some PacComms came this way from the factory.

Since in practice, you don't set dev every site trip, I haven't bothered
with this. I just carry an HT, pico-packet tnc, a few cables, and "test"
using a set up in to a dummy load a few feet from the installed digi.