[aprssig] Lets Fix New-N now!

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Oct 20 22:45:56 EDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 06:07:52PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <bruninga at usna.edu> flavor, containing:
> Keith,
> You are in New Mexico?
> I thought that NM was 100% WIDEn-N
> Im confused.

The Upper Rio FM Society, which operates most of the high/wide digis, has set
all of its 30 or so digis to use the WIDEn-N paradigm.  They are certainly
not the only digis in the state, but they are the ones at all the high peaks.

Perhaps Keith is talking about fill-in digis --- there may well be some areas
that need such fill-ins and these might not have myalias set to WIDE1-1 yet.

At least in the central part of the state, WIDEn-N is working Just Fine.
However if folks are using RELAY,WIDE as the first bits of paths then the high
digis aren't going to digipeat them and they will be disappointed.  A mobile
using RELAY,WIDE will not get very far unless operating in an area of New
Mexico that still has some of these fill-ins.

>From where I sit a bit East of Albuquerque, I see 26 digipeaters in a 140 mile
radius of my home (my current ALOHA circle), all of them new paradigm WIDEn-N
digis.  I'm seeing mobile stations from just inside the Arizona border
who are getting to me on the second hop of their WIDE3-3 paths.   I even see
a few WIDE3-3 stations from as far as 300 miles away.  But then there are some
very high digis near me with extraordinary coverage.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster