[aprssig] Lets Fix New-N now!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Oct 20 18:07:52 EDT 2005

Keith,
You are in New Mexico?
I thought that NM was 100% WIDEn-N
Im confused.

Bob

>>> "keith allen" <ag4ac at earthlink.net> 10/20/05 3:43 PM >>>
Bob,
	One thing I've noted is that there is a lot less using the N-N down here
than more.  Part of the problem stems from folks just getting into APRS who
really don't have the money to put into newer TNC's and instead have to
settle for older tnc's that only will support relay and/or wide....ie TNC's
that only have myalias with no uidigi and definitely NO uitrace support.  I
theorize that until you can readily purchase tnc's with full APRS support
at HAMFESTS or otherwise for say...10-35 dollars, this situation will
continue to exist.  It's not that some folks just refuse to change the
system, it's that many have better things to do with their money...ie eat,
put clothes on children's backs, etc.  In this area, there is maybe 10 stns
showing when I bring up a 32 mile screen on DOSAPRS.  As a result, I find
that most digis in that range do NOT support the n-n system and this tends
to nullify the point of using the n-n.  However, to make sure my bases are
covered in my mobile, I use relay,wide,wide1-1,wide2-2.  Any less and I
make it to an Igate less than 50% of the time. Until the n-n system becomes
the stabndard and not the exception, it makes no sense to change my paths.
I do agree with the xyl ref digi ops being rude.  After all, this is a
HOBBY and not a mandate.  and I've always heard you get more flies with
honey than vinegar.  But maybe that's just an old southern wives tale.
73.

F. Keith Allen,  AG4AC
President, CCERC
NM, St Clair ARES Nets
My cellphone is a HAM Radio.You want to talk to me, GET A LICENSE!