[aprssig] N1547C tracker

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Thu Oct 20 18:09:08 EDT 2005

Nothing political about this.  I never said anything about the FCC
needing to "write a rule for trackers".  I asked for clarification which
Steve gave.  I agree with Steve that trackers are covered under
97.221(b).  I disagree with Steve about when the tracker is directly in
the hands of a non-ham (this is the control issue) or if it is being
used "on a regular basis" where another radio service could "reasonably"
be used (hey, lets start a free lojack!).

To knowingly break the law which is what you are saying below because
"you can" or because "I was just experimenting" is no excuse and there
are a _lot_ of ex-hams that have found that out.  That is why things
like "waivers" exist and are issued by the FCC.  If you think your
"experiment" is illegal, ask for a waiver.  But, as Steve said, it's
your license.  None of your examples were first "tested illegally" on
amateur bands in violation of Part 97 and then added later.  I have
already stated _I_ don't believe the case of N1547C is illegal, at least
with regards to control, but that is my _personal_ opinion.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net