[aprssig] N1547C tracker

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Thu Oct 20 18:06:50 EDT 2005

Actually, David said in his post "My tracker in N1547C is wired to the
ignition."  Turning on power to the airplane IMO is not _specifically_
turning on the tracker.  The tracker is simply drawing its power from
the airplane and the pilot is not controlling the tracker station.
However, there must be a way for someone to _disable_ the tracker
station upon notification by the FCC to the control operator, K7GPS.
Whether this is done via contact with the pilot via cell phone (yes, it
is illegal to operate a land-mobile device such as a cell phone in an
air-mobile capacity) or via the numerous legal ground-to-air
communications available, IMO if the pilot turns off the device, its
transmissions have been, by procedure, terminated.  However, the pilot
may not directly re-enable the transmitter which would then be
controlling the transmitter unless there is direct oversight by the
control operator (again, that oversight might not be local if I read the
rules correctly).

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net