[aprssig] N1547C tracker

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Oct 20 15:02:12 EDT 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 2:37 PM, AE5PL Lists wrote:

> One last thought about part 97 on tracking aircraft: can this be
> done by means other than amateur radio?
> (§97.113 Prohibited transmissions.
> (a) No amateur station shall transmit:
> (5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be
> furnished alternatively through other radio services.)
>
> It could be contended that commercial services which provide online
> tracking of aircraft on IFR flight plans furnish the exact same
> service.  Whether the pilot is using IFR flight plans would then be
> an issue.

If you choose to look at it that way, there is almost nothing that
would be allowed in amateur radio. My Verizon EVDO card keeps me
constantly connected to the internet as I drive, I can use it for
VoIP instead of using a phone patch, sending my position to the APRS
IS instead of using 144.39, sending video instead of using ATV. All
message passing nets other than from areas without cellular coverage
would be disallowed. I'm hard pressed to think of ANYTHING other than
when I'm in the boonies that would be permissible...

Steve K4HG