[aprssig] FW: [nwaprssig] TACTICAL CALLSIGNS IN TRACKERS

Herb Gerhardt hgerhardt at wavecable.com
Thu Oct 20 14:41:38 EDT 2005

I am forwarding this message at Dave's request.

Hopefully, we can all let this issue die!  I am tired of reading all the
gibberish and opinions on how to interpret the rules.  One of my local Hams
took me to task a couple of years ago about putting an APRS tracker in a SAR
team member's backpack during a SAR mission.  The ARRL's response was that
it was perfectly legal for a non-ham to carry a tracker as long as he can
only turn it ON and OFF, and, the control operator was able to communicate
with him via any mode including commercial radio used by SAR or cell phone.
Any device was permitted as long as the control operator could reach the
person carrying the tracker could be told to shut it OFF should a problem
arise.  Dave's application certainly meets those ARRL guidelines.  I know,
the ARRL is not the FCC and most of you responding on this issue are not
lawyers either.

So please lets move on to some more constructive discussions.

Thanks,

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info