[aprssig] RE: N1547C tracker

David Dobbins ddobbins at direcway.com
Thu Oct 20 08:44:55 EDT 2005

Eric, info the group:

I agree Eric that we're all responsible to patrol the RF spectrum. A
D700 is not necessarily the best tool to do so, and a check of findu.com
to confirm any suspicions, or further check of your home station
computer if you have one (you probably do) would have easily confirmed
the status text including my callsign. On top of that, it's not even
necessary to transmit the status text on the same output path as the
position reports. Ergo, any tracker could use a position path of
WIDE7-7, and no path on the status text, meaning it goes out but does
not get digipeated as far as the position report (which would include
the tactical call only). The rules are satisfied as they call for a
transmission of the info, not necessarily the receipt of that info by
someone monitoring the frequency. So it is not a fair assumption that
the tracker is out of whack just because you don't receive the data.
That used to bother me, but not as much anymore as I know our people are
responsible enough, and we ask them to set up a similar path for both
status text and position info. You just need to be cautious and do your
homework for some sort of confirmation of your suspicions before
"complaining" on a huge list like the aprssig. I've been playing this
game with trackers and APRS since 1993 when is was APRSdos and nothing
else. I'm still learning, but have a pretty good base of knowledge built
up. The comment you quoted does not say I'm not interested in watching
too. It was my tracker, my postings to the sigs, my time spent getting
pictures and text for the web page, and my personal email exchanges with
several people along the way who reported watching with interest. That
should be the obvious "I'm interested" comment I previously posted.

Dave K7GPS