[aprssig] D700 as a digi

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Thu Oct 20 07:24:22 EDT 2005

SCSG is South Carolina State Guard (www.scsg.org) .  We have just
purchased 2 d700's (waiting for the PO to go thru and they to arrive), 6
laptops, 1 panasonic toughbook, a comms trailer, etc.  Also, we've got
about a dozen garmin RINO radios (with 20 or more to come) that can be
tracked via APRS thanks to xastir.  We did a practice for a drill coming
up on Oct 27th where we setup a station at an airport and had two guys
wander all over the property with rino units and were able to track them
over a photo of the airport.  From up on the airport beacon tower at
70', I was able to track one of them 5.6 miles - voice would have gone
further, but S/N ratio was too much for rino data.  Not exactly cutting
edge for us here in this SIG, but SCSG bosses love it. Big "wow" factor.

Wes